Although you may think without lots of other vegetables and the use of chicken or pulses this soup may be bland, far from it. The sprinkling of the turmeric, cumin and coriander make it really tasty. Tried and tested on my husband and 2 children. Plus it took my no time to prepare.. 5 minutes to chop and then the most part you leave it to simmer. Easy.
And the health benefits.. making this recipe is TheBeezKneez for mums.
Cauliflower, like all cruciferous vegetables, boosts lots of health benefits making it a great vegetable to eat regulary. Not only does it help your liver to detoxify, it boasts a decent array of nutrients including vitamins C, K, B6 and folate, plus a good dose of fibre to help clear toxins from the body. Rich in antioxidants it boosts your immune system making your fitter and healthier to ward off diseases and common colds and flu.
Cauliflower can also be made into couscous by blending it in the food processor. Cauliflower couscous is a great healthy way to replace grains to help lose tummy fat.
The sprinkling of turmeric adds to the healthiness of this soup – Turmeric contains a powerful antioxidant which has cancer fighting properties and can potentially ward of dementia.
Plus it’s stress free to make. You leave it to simmer for 45 minutes. Quick, easy and delicious, and a great way to eat up that cauliflower sitting in your fridge!
If you are breastfeeding, cut out the turmeric and ground cumin, sometimes the spices can affect the taste of your milk.
1 medium cauliflower
1 large onion
1 medium leek
1 tsp turmeric
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
1.5 litres hot chicken stock
Pinch of Sea Salt
1. Slice and chop the onion finely
2. Break the cauliflower into florettes
3. Using a large, wide pan melt the butter slowly over a low heat.
4. Add the onion, leek and cauliflower and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes so they soften but do not brown.
5. Add the turmeric, ground coriander and cumin and stir cooking for a further one minute.
6. Add the hot stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Season with black pepper and sea salt
8. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth or the desired consistency.
9. Add a few leaves of fresh basil.
10. As a suggestion, this is delicious served with pumpernickel bread topped with turkey slices.
Please share and leave a comment about this recipe! Enjoy.